About Me

My photo
Paso Robles, California, United States
Novelist, poet, songwriter, and journalist, I bring over four decades of experience to the written page. I just finished Mental Hygiene, a coming of age novel set in Fort Jackson, SC circa 1967-68.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Poem

This poem of mine from my past reminds me of today....

what it’s like

lines change like shadows,
short and sweet or longer
than they ought to last/
the slicing and pasting
and not quite gripping,
worn down to what’s left;
cold coffee and metered resignation/

this is what it’s like,
like it or not/ a dozen lost relatives
standing at a bus stop
and suddenly realizing they are going
to the same place/

when i got there,
where I was
yelled you’re at the wrong
place/ house/ page/ moment/ conclusion
and everybody else knows/ but being
used to having the last word,
i edited the line
and had everyone captured
in my place/ house/ page/ moment/
with my conclusion/

No comments:

Post a Comment